Monday, February 13, 2012

Noodles & Co Penne Rosa ... AT HOME!!

I love the penna rosa at Noodles & Co. It's the best sauce, a little spicy, and great flavor. Top it with shrimp and I'm a very happy girl. But paying $7 for a bowl of pasta!?!? ugh. If I'm going out for pasta, I'd like it to either be really fancy, or have endless salad and breadsticks with it. So last night, I outsmarted Noodles & Co. Penna rosa at home, ready, go!


Step 1: Buy the SAUCE at Noodles & Co. I've tried to replicate it. In my opinion it can't be done. Stop trying. Anything I buy from the store will be just as un-homemade as what I buy at Noodles, so I went straight to the source. No, I don't want pasta or meat or veggies, I would like some sides of sauce!


Sides of sauce at Noodles cost $1 each. I bought 5 for 1lb of pasta, and I think it was a good ratio. Up it if you like more sauce.


So, sauce is done! for $5.00!!


extra ingredients:

Sliced mushrooms: $2

bunch of baby spinach: $1.50

1lb whole wheat penne: $1.50

shredded cheese of your choice... we used asiago.

meat of your choice... we used chicken that night, the pre-cooked breast cut into strips in the freezer section are great for this.


Without meat or cheese, this meal is $10!! Considering I was paying 70% of that for 20% (or less) of a portion, I'm pretty happy about that.


So to put it all together:


Boil pasta, while pasta is boiling sautee mushrooms until tender in a Tbsp of butter and Tbsp olive oil, add spinach leaves to wilt. Add meat (frozen is fine, it will thaw in the sauce), and sauce and bring to a simmer. When pasta is almost done ladle about 1/4-1/2 cup of pasta water into sauce to thin it out. Drain pasta just shy of done. Combine pasta and thinned sauce and heat over medium heat to let pasta finish cooking in the sauce. Sauce with thicken in this process. Sprinkle with your favorite cheese and EAT!!!


Note: Rogan wasn't a fan, but I reserved a few plain noodles for him with Ragu and he was a happy camper. :)







This meal fed Ryan and I for dinner, then ample leftovers for another dinner or lunches to take to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment