Monday, August 22, 2011

Angel and the near two-year-old...

Oh yes, I DID want the terrible twos to start 6 months early. Thanks for asking!

Tonight we started off great, we ate dinner, we tried a new game where Mommy is the horsy and Rogan rides around on Mommy's back (huge hit) and then we played outside. I love my smiling laughing boy.

Then we come inside, and a tantrum begins. First because we come inside, then because I won't let him go down to the basement. All the books say not to reinforce the negative behavior. And I agree. So once the screaming and the stomping starts if I let him downstairs that teaches him nothing. So what do I try? Distraction. His favorite toys, songs, tv shows, even the iPad do nothing to stop the screaming. And after 30 minutes I call it and send him to bed.

I change his diaper ( yes, he is still screaming and squirming), put on pjs, and we sway to his bedtime music for 10 minutes until he (and I) calm down.

... Even now, 2 hours later, he's restless. I think he has a cold. I just went in there and swayed some more and put some Vicks rub on his shirt to help him get some rest.

Sigh... Might be a long night with our little almost 2 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment